[AMRadio] AM vs SSB???

Ed Sieb esieb at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 5 12:35:35 EDT 2007

Lets's go through that again...

180W PEP SSB is four times as powerful, or 6dB more power than the
comparable 45W AM transmitter Add another 3dB for the receiver where he
bandwidth is also narrower. Total SSB advantage over the comparable AM
signal is approximately 9 dB.

Now, where we're talking 180W AM (plate modulated),  we are talking about
720 W PEP, where he comparable PEP power of an AM signal is 4 times the
carrier. This is assuming 100% modulation. A 125% positive modulate signal
is comparable to a 500W PEP SSB signal.

Ed, VA3ES
 Edward B Richards wrote:
180 watts SSB is all in one sideband and useable. 180 Watts AM is divided
between the carrier (1/2 power) and two sidebands (each 1/4 power) So the
SSB is 4 times more powerfull.