[AMRadio] AM - characteristics

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:40:37 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Rick Brashear <rickbras at airmail.net> wrote:
> Maybe it's just my old ears, but ssb sounds better to me on the R-390 or
> SP-600 than it does on the FT-1000MP.  Maybe I just like those receivers so
> much better I am imagining it sounds better.

No, it's not your imagination, Rick. Same thing here, in fact my old
75A-1 does an excellent job of making SSB sound about as good as it
can, given the amount and type of signal you have to recover. I think
that having less receiver/phase noise, a real (meaning sturdy) audio
output stage, coupled with a decent speaker makes all the difference -
provided, as you mention, that they're not slapping the snot out of
their signal with a *pop*pop* processor.

For all the complaints some like to make about AM splatter, just tune
down to a strong SSB signal with a lot of audio gain and processor
engaged. You can hear the popping several kcs before you find the
signal. First rate operating practices, no doubt.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ