[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:23:32 EDT 2007

> The noise on SSB comes in the form of perceioved irritation
> in the human ear and brain due to the donald duck type
> distortion one gets with SSB.
> AM has the inherent quality of BLANKING the background
> noise too, so it sounds better an dis inherently far less
> IRRITATING to listen to than SSB.

Apparently you have NEVER heard a properly tuned SSB Transmitter into
a properly tuned SSB receiver.  I have never experienced the "donald
duck" sound in my S-Line when working a station, only when tuning
across the station and you will get a correspondingly irritating sound
when an AM signal is not correctly tuned as well.  If you are fool
enough to try to listen to a SSB signal on an AM receiver then you
would probably also listen to an AM signal on a SSB receiver...which
is MUCH worse.

Jim Isbell....  Running a Collins S-Line.
you are just taking up too much space."