[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 17:57:34 EDT 2007

> Apparently you have NEVER heard a properly tuned SSB Transmitter into
> a properly tuned SSB receiver.

Yes, that's what it is - my Icom 746 is not a 'proper' receiver
and all the hams on 80m and 20m are not running 'proper'
ssb rigs (grin!)

If it sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck and not really an
ssb rig! (just kidding...)

But seriously - no, I'm sorry to have to tell you, but these guesses are
all way off. I am just saying that AM has a much more natural sound
to me in any rig - unless of course the equipment is limited by its
lacking a proper AM detector, as is the case with collins and a few
other manufacturers. In that case - AM will sound just as pinched as ssb.

The main reason ssb will sound better on a collins than on some of the
cheaper rigs is that their audio chain has 1% distortion instead
of the usual 10% distortion, and they also use a decent loudspeaker.

However, that has nothing to do with the fact that AM sounds inherently
more natural on the air than ssb.

That is just my experience, and you can choose to explain it away
however you like.

73s - over and out.