[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Fri Apr 6 19:10:34 EDT 2007

The better quality SSB audio is reasonably intelligible, and it doesn't sound too bad, as long as it is tuned in right.  It is
like a telephone.  Yes, you need phonetics to tell 's' and 'f' and 'p' and 'b' apart out of context, but it's usable.

But the cheap SSB rigs I heard sounded so bad that it was hard to -hear- speech, let alone understand it. The receive audio was
unlistenable - and transmit audio quality... who could tell?  Those things had so many peaks and dips in bad places in the
speech spectrum that I could hardly make out a word; all I could hear was noise.

The same thing applies to bad AM TX and RX audio, too.  And if the receive audio is that bad, the best AM sounds just as bad as
crummy ssb.  Given that, people preferred SSB to AM, because at least they didn't get selective fading on top of it all.

It's good that today there is some interest in better quality SSB.  I guess the danger is that the audiophool industry might get
into SSB accessories.

    Bacon, WA3WDR