[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 19:43:54 EDT 2007

> The main reason ssb will sound better on a collins than on some of the
> cheaper rigs is that their audio chain has 1% distortion instead
> of the usual 10% distortion, and they also use a decent loudspeaker.

Actually, I've never thought Collins SSB sounded all that terribly good.
The KWS-1 has a bit wider transmit filter than the other usual suspects, but
in general, the transmit bandwidth is too narrow.  There are important audio
queues in both the low end and high end (up to 4Khz or so) speech spectrum
that are completely missing.  This isn't just a Collins problem -- I'm not
singling them out to pick on.  And the typical receiver, with it's shiny 2.1
Khz mechanical filter or equivalent, chops those important queues out even
if they were being transmitted.

I am not a proponent (nor opponent, either) of high fi SSB, but you don't
have to go too far beyond what is the politically correct norm to get a
signal that can actually be well understood (per Bacon's point).

And of course there are other factors -- tuning errors, distortion products,
a heavy hand on the "processing" control, what-have-you.  AM signals can be
mushy and hard to understand, too.

Grant/NQ5T