[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 20:29:52 EDT 2007

> The KWS-1 has issues in that it transmits ONLY one sideband NOT both.
>
> That is precisely WHY I passed by the one that was/is <eventually>
> available WITH the matching receiver.  Both are completely restored.
>
> As such - it is a POOR example to cite for "AM vs SSB"

First a transmitter that transmits both sidebands is NOT SSB.  SSB
means exactly SINGLE SIDE BAND.  If a transmitter transmits both
sidebands it is DSB for Double Side Band...unless it also wastes time
with the carrier then it is AM.

And I did not refer to the KWS1 when I said the Collins properly tuned
had great audio.  Or, actually I said it didn't sound like donald
duck.  BUT...my 1958 S-Line, 32S1, 75S1 and 30L1 does have great audio
that sounds like you are sitting across the room from the other party.

It was precisely because of the audio that in 1958 I fell in love with
the Collins S-Line series of communication gear.

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."