[AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Bow kd5kzn at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 7 06:36:38 EDT 2007

WHAT?!??!

Let me turn my Guitar down

Bow

W5EFR

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Vince Werber
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 18:53
To: Jim.Isbell at gmail.com; Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: GB> AM vs SSB???

Hi all...

I have heard good SSB audio in years past...  anyone remember the old
phasing rigs?  They didn't sound too bad...

I can't listen to any SSB too long these days...  I get a tearing sound in
my ears...  most likely from standing beside too many guitar amplifiers from
the 60's on up...  <heh>

73
vince
ka1iic

On Saturday 07 April 2007 00:29, Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> > The KWS-1 has issues in that it transmits ONLY one sideband NOT both.
> >
> > That is precisely WHY I passed by the one that was/is <eventually>
> > available WITH the matching receiver.  Both are completely restored.
> >
> > As such - it is a POOR example to cite for "AM vs SSB"
>
> First a transmitter that transmits both sidebands is NOT SSB.  SSB
> means exactly SINGLE SIDE BAND.  If a transmitter transmits both
> sidebands it is DSB for Double Side Band...unless it also wastes time
> with the carrier then it is AM.
>
> And I did not refer to the KWS1 when I said the Collins properly tuned
> had great audio.  Or, actually I said it didn't sound like donald
> duck.  BUT...my 1958 S-Line, 32S1, 75S1 and 30L1 does have great audio
> that sounds like you are sitting across the room from the other party.
>
> It was precisely because of the audio that in 1958 I fell in love with
> the Collins S-Line series of communication gear.
>

> Jim Isbell
> "If you are not living on the edge, well then, you are just taking up
> too much space."
word unsubscribe in the message body.