[AMRadio] UPS Damaged Goods

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Sat Apr 7 19:36:26 EDT 2007

Harveyesmith at aol.com wrote:

> metal can be straightened,, and scratches do not bother electronic function.
>   good idea to have insured it, next time you ship it UPS, insure it for 5,000
>
> sadly it appears   UPS must be not as conscientious and/or reliable as they
> used to be.  This is good info for all of us to learn from... and  for all to
> be aware of...

I recently needed to send a power amplifier module from a transmitter in
for repair and the equipment manufacturer I was shipping it to told me
if I was shipping ANYTHING (ESPECIALLY MISSION CRITICAL EQUIPMENT) I
WANTED GUARANTEED SAFE DELIVERY for repair or any other reason, to
insure it for at least $5,000.  He told me that UPS has a policy that
ANYTHING INSURED FOR $5,000 OR MORE is to be hand carried, processed and
signed by a UPS manager to insure proper handling and IT MUST ALWAYS BE
SIGNED FOR on the delivery end.  This way, IF IT DOES GET DAMAGED, it is
much harder for UPS to weasel out of a claim.  I think it will cost you
around $40 or $50 for the insurance.  Is it worth it?  Yes, especially
if you can't afford to pay for some UPS goon's carelessness.  I once
shipped a HP spectrum analyzer and they killed it but wouldn't pay for
it because it's Pelican case wasn't proper packaging.  Be careful, by
UPS "standards" the original manufacturer's packaging may not qualify
either.  Go figure.

Best Regards,
Stevan A. White, W5SAW
SW Commercial Electronics
928 South Crockett Street
Amarillo, Texas 79102
Phone 806-681-7228
w5saw at pathwayz.com

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you
can by what others say about him." -- Leo Aikman, Writer and Newspaper
Editor