[AMRadio] OT Guitar Amps

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 11:50:55 EDT 2007

  At least they had tubes...

  In my Music Repair days I built some special effects cabinets for a few
musicians - mostly bass players, and 80% of them Ampeg SVT, or Rock City
aficianados.

   I'd build a big cabinet, with space for 6 or 8 12" speakers. In the
cabinet would be a 250 volt power supply charging a few 1000 microfarads
of big beefy caps.... and some pyrotechnic squib holders.  We'd buy the
cheapest junk speakers available, and prepare them by slitting the
surrounds and voice coil spider, then using a bit of scotch tape to hold
the cone in place.  The cabinet would be finished in Tolex or Diamond Tuck
to match the rest of the Stack.

   Then, at a pre-determined moment, usually at the climax of the last set,
the Musician would step on a foot switch, discharging the capacitor bank
through all the speakers, blowing the (often burning) cones sometimes
clear out into the crowd, and setting off the fireworks squibs at the same
time..

   "DUUUUDE!!! He BLEW his AMP *UP*!!! It was AWWWWWSOME!! DUUUUDE!!!!"

   I made about a dozen of those durring the stadium rock days...

   We now return you to your originally-scheduled AmRadio Newsgroup,
already in progress....

Cheers

John
KB6SCO

Who is a lifelong keyboard player (with the exception of...   [eww!]
accordions...)