[AMRadio] Re: AM ?? Vince

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sun Apr 8 17:11:22 EDT 2007

DOXEMF writes:

>   Awhile ago there was a thread on this or the Tube Collectors list about
> the Ampeg SVT and it's use of the 6146.
>  Six of them with the output rating of 300 watts.

Ah OK - the SVT DID use 6146es for one year - 1969.
All of the ones I ever worked on were the types with 6550s, which
I think covers the majority of them...

Either amplifier is good for about 200 to 300 watts of audio.
VERY nice when you need a little extra kick in the pants on stage!
They still make the SVT CL model with 6550s at 300 watts.

I worked on a number of those as well as the larger Sunn
power amplifiers, Fender 400 watt (claimed) amplifiers and the like.

I think Acoustic had some chunky models that would really
churn out some audio power too - but they were all squalid state.

HiWatt lived up to their name and built some with Six KT88s

Ampeg claims that their SVT-8 head will deliver 2500 watts
RMS.  Again it's "squalid state," but how's THAT for rattling
the walls? Don't practice on that one at home when the
neighbors are in!