[AMRadio] Need advice!

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 9 00:06:04 EDT 2007

Phil,

    The 32V series is basically a 100 watt carrier, and 400w PEP transmitter at 100% modulation. Since the legal limit is 1500w PEP, you need an amplifier that has about 6 DB of gain, to say ~ 375 watts carrier, and ~ 1500w PEP output with 100w carrier and 400w pep input. To my knowledge, a commercial amplifier does not fit this requirement unless you insert a 3-10 db attenuator to reduce the 32V power such that the amplifier will not be over driven. A Heath SB-220 will do with 15-25 watts carrier drive.

   Several years ago I posted a concept amplifier using a pair of 304 TL's in parallel, grounded grid, with a pi-network output. Some rough calculations showed 6 db of gain, and 400w in made 1600w out in class Ab2 (or was it class B). Unfortunately I lost my notes on this concept amplifier. A G-G 4-1000 amplifier might also be a candidate to explore, especially if the B+ is not too high (opening myself up here to the B+ %eff debate..:-))

  Since 6 db is ~ 1 S-unit, maybe you are better off sticking with 100w (400pep), and boosting your antenna a little higher free from things that might lower antenna efficiency..
Is an amplifier with less than 10db gain worth the effort? It all depends, and you be the judge.

regards,
Jim
JKO