[AMRadio] Need advice!

Phil LaMarche plamarc1 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 9 09:27:20 EDT 2007

Thanks Jim and points well taken.

Philip LaMarche
LaMarche Enterprises, Inc.
www.instantgourmetspices.com
www.W9DVM.com
727-944-3226
800-395-7795 pin 02
FAX 727-937-8834
NASFT # 30210
W9DVM

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Candela
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 12:06 AM
To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Need advice!

Phil,

    The 32V series is basically a 100 watt carrier, and 400w PEP transmitter
at 100% modulation. Since the legal limit is 1500w PEP, you need an
amplifier that has about 6 DB of gain, to say ~ 375 watts carrier, and ~
1500w PEP output with 100w carrier and 400w pep input. To my knowledge, a
commercial amplifier does not fit this requirement unless you insert a 3-10
db attenuator to reduce the 32V power such that the amplifier will not be
over driven. A Heath SB-220 will do with 15-25 watts carrier drive.

   Several years ago I posted a concept amplifier using a pair of 304 TL's
in parallel, grounded grid, with a pi-network output. Some rough
calculations showed 6 db of gain, and 400w in made 1600w out in class Ab2
(or was it class B). Unfortunately I lost my notes on this concept
amplifier. A G-G 4-1000 amplifier might also be a candidate to explore,
especially if the B+ is not too high (opening myself up here to the B+ %eff
debate..:-))

  Since 6 db is ~ 1 S-unit, maybe you are better off sticking with 100w
(400pep), and boosting your antenna a little higher free from things that
might lower antenna efficiency..
Is an amplifier with less than 10db gain worth the effort? It all depends,
and you be the judge.

regards,
Jim
JKO