[AMRadio] 3.870

Craig C. Heaton wd8kdg at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 10 11:47:25 EDT 2007

Craig C. Heaton wrote:
> One of my rare evening when I listened to 75 meters after 5PM pacific
time,
> what a ZOO! KO6NM, K6BW and others had their hands full. The
> scientific-set-back stations from 4 & 5 land were trying their best to QRM
> 3.870 the west coast AM calling frequency.
>
> So I settled back with a drink, set the bandwidth on the R-390A to 4KC,
the
> dial at 3.872, and never miss a beat of the AM QSO.
>
> Would be nice to see some 4 & 5 land AM activity early in the evening or
> late afternoon.

There is, or there's tried to be... on 3.880.  Look for W5KGZ, W5DWP,
KA5RHK and others on/around 3.880 at/about 4:30 to 5pm, for an hour or two.

If you don't hear anyone, call CQ.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR (/5)

Hi Geoff,

The disputed AM west coast calling frequency, 3.870MHz, was kinda crowded
last night and there were weak stations on 3.880 and 3.885. So I dropped
down to 3.865, just a little out of the GETTO, and had a fantastic QSO with
stations in Washington state and Mexifornia. Signals were 60dB or better on
my R-390A, just like old time clear channel radio!

K7LFE, W0LU, and K6PBJ were wall to wall AM audio. Couldn't of had a better
time on 75 meters. I know some of the big guns from So-Cal are using BC rigs
that are rock bound and not easily moved out of the GETTO. But for some of
us, great QSOs can be had by just turning the dial.

Sort of put the squeeze on the scientific set back stations getting too
close or on top of 3.870.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig