[AMRadio] AM - characteristics

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:37:02 EDT 2007

Bry Carling wrote:
>> Coverage, coverage, coverage!   What memories you had me remember.
>> Anyone else do the "Cutting Edge" in the AM bands?
>>
>> 73 Robert W4RL
>>

> Robert et al,
> I confess to an 807 driven BC610 tuning unit exciter, and
> cathode modulated with the signal from a K-mart plastic
> turntable. It carried a mile or so with a strong,  but
> poorly-modulated signal on the AM dial...

I ran the 250TH rig into a dummy load with Bob Wills music playing
(checking out the new modulator, reactor choke combo) at 100w, and out
of curiosity, drove around the neighborhood listening to it, with the
mobile rig.  I was hurrying back to shut the thing off, when I was still
hearing it S-9, 2 miles away, but relieved when a signal in Oklahoma
covered it up, when he came on and called CQ at 3pm.  *whew*.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR