[AMRadio] RA1000 rememberences, RIP

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Thu Apr 12 13:18:14 EDT 2007

Thanks for that link, Paul. I remember when that was put online, wonder if K7YXZ got that big girl on the air in his shack. I'm not talking about the XYL. The larger iron in that babe easily weigh 120 lbs each. I weighed them, but i forgot how much. I had to move them around and get them into our old 1985 S10 truck from Roswell and drive the 3.5 hours home, with the back end low to the ground and the nose up high, handling was different. Anyway, all but four pieces went to other hams or the local surplus store where they were exchanged for other goodies. I kept one of the 60 Hy modulation reactors, seen in the photo, the tall oil-filled brown unit with two insulators on top. The spare one went to another guy in town who built a single tube 833 AM rig.

The reactor can be seen in the photo labelled 'the other inside wall'. In the photo 'one inside wall' the beautiful output network can be seen at the top, above the 833s. The capacitor and the big inductor are perfect for a balanced tuner, old style, good for at least a kW of 100% AM!

http://www.sbe124.org/old_xmtr_rescue/our_old_xmtr.html

That is one big mama, that rig.
73
John