[AMRadio] RA1000 aesthetics

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:56:39 EDT 2007

Having rescued one of these beasts in Sept of 2005, I can certainly
relate to the comments offered. It is one enormous, over-overbuilt
transmitter - particularly for a mere KW.

It took 3 of us all day to disassemble and load this transmitter. And
some light disasembly had already been done! The iron is definitely
heavy duty, there's a lot of it, and it sits on a piece of sheet steel
that has to be 1/2 inch thick or more. Cabinet panels are also thicker
steel than what you find on newer transmitters, and the unit has an
inside as well as outside cabinet. Trim and hardware are top quality,
nickel and chrome plated. The 833A x 2 RF output section is matched up
with another pair of 833Asdriven by a pair of 845s.

The brown and tan paint scheme is highlighted by copious amounts of
brightwork and meters, with 5 additional hidden meters behind the
front 'table' panel add to the double rows of large meters at top.
Topped off by the big red Raytheon emblem, it's truly a handsome
transmitter. As Paul has pointed out previously, it does lack any type
of viewing window for monitoring tube color, but this is about the
only visual drwaback to an otherwise-handsome and well built
transmitter, IMHO. I find the 'newer' (60s-70s) transmitters to be far
less attractive with more of a 'cold' plastic look. But that's just my
taste.

I'd heard comments from both 'VJB and 'HUZ about the RA-1000 they
disassembledsome years ago, but until you're actually standing inside
one yourself, your really can't imagine the size and scope of the
project. The one I hauled from Elizabeth City NC to Randolph, VT now
resides in Gray ME where it is approaching its return to the air at
N1MMD. VJB's old GR 1931A mod monitor in matching Raytheon metallic
brown recently joined it.

>From someone who has always admired and appreciated the quality
construction of Collins equipment, I can honestly say that the
Raytheon gear is at least as well made, and probably better. You'd
have to see the construction and components/hardware used to fully
appreciate it. The old phrase "they don't build 'em like that anymore"
surely applies.

2400 pounds of classic transmitter!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ from sunny Tampa