[AMRadio] $80,000 stereo amplifiers

DOXEMF at aol.com DOXEMF at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 02:03:16 EDT 2007

Barrie,
  As a bit of an audio nut myself I have thought about several easy ways to build a BIG TUBE amp up.
  While the more interesting and exotic tubes would be fun, you are right in the difficulty of obtaining output iron reasonable.
  But, there are several US transformer custom shops who will build to spec using normal materials at probably the same cost of an equivalent Mod transformer. After all, the only difference really, is the output imp. Two choices, SE which requires unballanced DC current in the primary, or PP which doesn't.
  An option is to use tubes that will give the desired power
while keeping with a plate voltage below 1kv.
  Most of the 120 + watt class of audio amps run 700+ plate @ 400+ ma thru the output so relatively normal transformers are available from Hammond, ETC.
 I am personally thinking of putting up a pair of 813s in triode connection to a 120 watt Dynaco output. Have to do the matching math yet but there are other tubes in that 800 series that will work. Heck, Altec had one using 811s or 812s.
 Really no more difficult to build than a Mod deck.
  Bill,
KB3DKS/1