[AMRadio] the post about amfone.net post last week...

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:45:47 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, A.R.S. -  W5AMI <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I can see some light on why Jim posted his message last week.  I
> wanted nothing more than to try and be fair, and not take sides on
> this list, however after seeing this thread today, I had to react.

Brian -

I was under the impression that Jim thought he was intentionally being
ignored, but I agree with what you're saying here. Blanket statements
are not a good idea in *any* situation like this. The fellow who
posted is actually in 6-Land, with a 1-Land call. Think he is
originally from Mass, not sure. He was objecting to the SSB jamming of
the guys on 3870, but I agree - he could've used a better approach a
bit more specific to the offenders and less inclusive of anyone in the
south in demonstrating what they have to put up with. To me, 'moron
land' is where the idiots live that I hear up this way many nights.
And they're not all in 4 or 5 Land. They're everywhere. We all get to
enjoy them.

Believe it or not, we have a good number of folks up here who sound
like 'youse guys down south'. The dialect thing and
imitations/mimicking of, gets applied to folks from Canada, Brooklyn,
North Dakota and so on. Generally in fun, not in a degrading way. New
Englanders with their 'a-yup' and other quaint sayings are right up
there too.

There's never an excuse to lump everyone into one, big category for
the sake of expediency. I, personally, am sorry that this happened,
and once again assure you that the vast majority of us actually 'up
north' do not think of southerner AMers as anything less than our
fellow radio equals. Not all SSBers are bad either, it just seems more
difficult to find the good 'uns. We have more than our share of jerks
up here, and they aren't mode-specific.

73,

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ