[AMRadio] the post about amfone.net post last week...

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed Apr 18 20:21:23 EDT 2007

As others have pointed out, I don't know of any widely published band
plans that identify an AM Window exclusively for AM operation on 75
meters. 3885 has been a recognized AM calling frequency for many years.
However, here on the East Coast, I'm willing to bet you can probably find
as many AM'ers operating 3880, 3875, and 3870 as they do 3885. Even I
have worked SSB stations on 3870. No one owns a frequency and definitely
no one owns an imaginary window. It doesn't take rocket science to set up
either during QRM'less QSO's or through e-mail, or even via land lines or
a USPS Post Card, alternate frequencies to check for activities of
interested parties (i.e. nets, swap shops, current medical ills, etc.).
This type of constant discontent is probably why the majority of my 75
meter AM activity is below 3870 KHz. I have no use for imaginary windows
since there is a heck of a lot of empty spectrum as you tune lower in the
band. And, contrary to popular belief, you can work coast to coast below
3870 KHz.