[AMRadio] 3870/QRM

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 09:41:21 EDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Bob Peters <rwpeters at swbell.net> wrote:
> Well guys I was going to stay out of this QSO but now I need to
> reply...I have many times been on 3.870 SSB with Murry...Johnny and a
> lot of the Texas SSB group when all of a sudden here comes the West
> Coast Guys on AM and we had been on SSB for hours before...  I blaim it
> on band conditions but then the yelling match comes from all concerned.
> Me I just sign and go away...My pennies worth  Hi

That's a really good point, Bob. It happened up hear a while back with
some midwest guys wandering into a group in the northeast who had been
on since afternoon. The band does stange things, sometimes quite
suddenly. It can appear that someone just 'arrived' on the frequency
you're using, when in fact they've been there all along.

OTOH, all of us have witnessed the times when a few bad apples will
jump onto the frequency with the intent to cause problems. Many will
make a point of saying so, in so many words. Joe and others have
mentioned the remarks about running off AMers with their outdated gear
and mode. When dealing with that mentality, I always remember Don,
K4KYV's words of wisdom: turn up the wick! Not always the best
practice, but more often than not, it's the only one they understand.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ