[AMRadio] 3870/QRM

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:50:34 EDT 2007

On 4/19/07, david knepper <collinsradio at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Why is it that very few of us are using the new expanded frequencies on 80
> meters for AM?

Not sure where you've been Dave, but there has been a *LOT* of
discussion on this point for the past few months from myself, Don,
K4KYV and others. Many of us have been active down there and avoiding
the garbage above, but as the novelty of the new spectrum wore off, a
lot of folks drifted back to the old habit of hanging around in one
sliver of the band and waiting for activity.

The biggest problem in my view is that so many folks seem determined
to wait for activity, not actually make it. As a result, they prefer
hanging around the ghetto where they know they will find something,
even if it's trash. I've operated back up there a few times since
December, but prefer the area below 3800 most nights due to the
noise/jamming/garbage between 3870-3885.

In fairness to some, they have rockbound rigs, converted BC
transmitters and such. I have one as well, but fortunately for me it's
set up for 160 and I have frequency-agile gear for 10-160 also.

Some are more comfortable being led (waiting to join someone else's
QSO) and some are more comfortable leading, if required (calling CQ to
create a QSO on a clear frequency). The former seems more prevalent in
amateur radio, AM being no exception. Just look at the abunance of
so-called 'nets' if you need proof. Plenty of AM gear and ops that you
never hear any other time.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ