***SPAM*** [AMRadio] My Amplifer Quest took a strange turn today

Bill Smith hbco2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 23:56:00 EDT 2007

>From the coil, it appears to be a 80 meter amplifier, might be 40 meters...
It is probably a linear unless the transformer in the back of the 813's is a
mod trannie.  It has a PI output stage, would guess the coax feed from the
the output SO-239 coax fitting.

The tuning capacitor is on the left, and the load capacitor is on the right.

It seems to have an integral power supply, but rectifiers and caps are
apparently underneath.  It wouldn't hurt to bring it up with either a
variac, or at least a 100 watt lightbulb in series with the 110VAC power
supply, then energize the HV so that you don't shock the HV filter caps
after all this time.  Else you may have to replace them.

A better way:

If you have another power supply, even a transformer and a diode stack, it
would be well to reform the filter caps by slowly charging the capacitors to
their rated voltage.  Keep the charge voltage low, with charge current under
5 ma and expect to increase applied voltage as you see charge current drop.
The process can take a period of several hours.

Who knows, it might work.  Wouldn't hurt to apply a little soap and water.
Don't trust any high-ohm power resistors such as found as bleeder resistors,
they tend to open with age and moisture.   Always ground the HV line with an
insulated clip lead before you touch anything.

Didn't hear anything on 3870 this evening either, but couldn't take the time
to fire up the rig this evening.

73 de Bill, ab6mt
hbco2 at sbcglobal.net