[AMRadio] My Amplifer Quest took a strange turn today

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Apr 23 13:51:11 EDT 2007

Back in the past when I had resonant dipoles up
(and no tuner) I could run the thing full blast and beyond,
with forced air cooling and 2500 volts on the plates, and
400 ma, and 900 watts of audio power to modulate it, and
nothing gave problems but the watt meter diodes...

I never had any reason to run it like that other then
as a test, as I spent most of my time on 40 meters where
you did not need lots of power, and lower output is
much cleaner.

I cant run it hard now, with the G5RV, as that needs the tuner
which cant handle the voltage at anything above 500 watts
of carrier.

Now on my rigs, my usual pep reading is not the theoretical
4 times the carrier power, but between 3 and 3.5 times, my voice
and the berringer likely the reason, so 500 watts carrier is ABOUT
1500 watts pep.

You think the FCC will bust down my door and start shooting
if I go to 1510 watts pep?

What are you supposed to do when the pep watt meter gets its diodes
blown out?

The 3x4D32 is parked on 40 meters, and I was using that most of the time,
and before that, the push pull 812a rig, as they have no fans or blowers
which is nice.
The 3X4D32 rig does get close to 4X at 340 watts of carrier I get
between 1100 and 1200 watts pep.

Brett
N2DTS