[AMRadio] Stuck Set Screw

Mark Foltarz Foltarz at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:34:59 EDT 2007

Rick,

 One trick I have used in the past includes a two front approach.

 First off, I have never found liquid wrench to be of much use for anything.

 My choice would be PB Blaster - another great thing to come out of Cleveland.
HI.

 Secondly,  getting a little heat into the screw has often helped.

 I did this by taking an allen key and placing it in the screw ( you could of
course use a flat head screwdriver or piece of stock to make contact if the
screw to be loosened is a flat head.)

 I then applied heat to the allen wrench with a propane torch. I continued this
to the point where the accumalated penetrating oil smoked. I left the wrench in
place until cool.

 I had to do this a couple of times ( alternating heat and the PB blaster) but
eventually the set screw "unlocked" and moved freely.

  I cannot say the same for at least one HRO knob I had a run in with however.
There a hack saw was necessary.

73
de KA4JVY
Mark

--- Rick Brashear <rickbras at airmail.net> wrote:

> Here we go again.  I know this was discussed in the past, but my memory is
> all but non existent on such matters.  I have a larger knob, about 3 inches
> in diameter, with two Allen set screws in it.  The insert appears to be
> brass, the set screws are iron of some kind.  One has had the head messed up
> and I will likely have to drill it out, but the other is in tact.  Both are
> frozen solid.  I soaked them in Liquid Wrench for an hour or more, but no
> luck getting either loose.  Same thing with WD-40.  Does anyone have a magic
> cure short of drilling them out?
>
> Thanks for any help ya'll can offer...
> Rick/K5IZ

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." (And he went on to recommend that the US Patent Office be thenceforth closed.)
- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899