[AMRadio] Stuck Set Screw

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:17:07 EDT 2007

Rick -

Another trick that has worked for me in years past is to use a small
jeweler's screwdriver on set screws that are badly mauled. Find a size
that you can wiggle into the slots (or what's left of them) diagonally
- preferrably one with a hole in the handle that allows you to slip a
rod or another screwdriver through for additional leverage. If that
fails, clamp your trusty Vice Grips to the handle of the screwdriver
once it's well-seated.

Use the advice of heat, penetrating oil etc along with this and you
should be able to break the sucker loose. Drilling is a real pain and
increases the chances of further damage, so I avoid it until all other
avenues are exhausted.

Good luck, hope you have some hair left when you're done!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ