[AMRadio] Stuck Set Screw

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Fri Apr 27 14:59:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rick Brashear wrote:

> Great story, Don!  I have received several great suggestions and plan on
> going through them all until I find one to get that rascal out of there.

   From having faced this exact problem during the re-build of my R-388,
the only tidbit I have to offer (in the midst of all this utterly terrific
info and 'hints & kinks'!!) is that, to heat the KC dial hub, I used one
of those Weller small hand-held heat guns (not the big 1500 watt jobs) and
directed the hot air onto the hub and shaft using the short extension pipe
that came with the gun - in five minutes of judicious heating, the locking
compound loosened and the set-screw was free.

   For what it's worth - Howard Mills also provides replacement KC dials
for these radios... he told me that sometimes cutting or melting the dial
is inevitable.

>> ...I was able it remove it, threads intact.
>> That was several years ago, and I have used the receiver almost daily
>> ever since.
>>

>> Don k4kyv

   Cheers

John