[AMRadio] League pulls RM-11306

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Apr 29 15:53:26 EDT 2007

Very simple Pete.  Input power is much easier to measure.
Read the meters and do a bit of math.  As for the 1000 watt
thing, why not?  Measuring or calculating PEP with an AM
signal is like trying to hit a turkey at 1000 yards for most
people.  I never did understand the reason for changing to
PEP or for that matter 1500 watts.  Why not 2000 watts PEP?
If you notice it on your S meter, you have a better S meter
than I or a better wattmeter.

As for anarchy, we almost have that now.  Consider a guy
telling a story on another board of listening to two new
General class hams discussing modifying the slider on his
Siltronix to get on 80 meters.  I seriously doubt these guys
know what PEP really is much less how to calculate or read
it correctly on a wattmeter.  As things stand now near 3.885
at night, only the strong survive.  The influx of new
Generals has definitely caused more problems.

Of course the answer is to call on 3.885, provide the
frequency is clear and when you make a contact, move
elsewhere either up or down.  Why not catch the flack
anywhere on the bands?  They will follow you wherever you
go, I guarantee it!  For those who can't read meters
correctly, we could put marks on them.
Jim
W5JO