[AMRadio] League pulls RM-11306

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:41:25 EDT 2007

Jim Wilhite wrote:
> Come on Pete.  How you do it is up to you???????
>
> That is part of the problem.  So someone could run 100 watts with 150%
> modulation and sound like crap.  One thing the current generation did
> not learn in school is that unlike laws written by man, natural laws
> cannot be overruled.

as long as the peaks are undistorted and the baseline is not pinched,
then the peaks could reach as high as a ratio of 4:1 (or more) and still
be legal, as long as the audio peaks remain under 1.5kW  (hint: a ratio
of 2:1 is considered 100%, when modulating with a sine wave, but... [see
my previous post]

> With what we have now the best way is 100% modulation both positive
> and negative to prevent trouble on the bands.

why not 100% negative and 150% positive?  OR, if you want that
"background quieting" signal, reverse the plate leads on the modulator,
effectively reversing the phase of the audio, and have more carrier
output, and less PEP, for the same amount of audio?

We've beaten this horse to death several times before.  I thought we had
already nudged it's head with our foot, and pulled it's tail to see if
we could get one more kick out of it.  Who knows what appendage has been
yanked on this time, to see if we can, yet again, revive this topic...

--
73, etc
-Geoff/W5OMR