[AMRadio] League pulls RM-11306

Bill Smith hbco2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 29 20:15:49 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <ars.w5omr at gmail.com>

<snips>

> Are you sure -you- know how much PEP your rig is running, without
> distorting/flat-topping the peaks?
>
> 73, etc
> -Geoff/W5OMR

Hi Geoff,

Been there, tried that.. have run increased carrier, and with an
asymmetrical limiter have limited positive peaks to comply with the 1500 W
PEP limit.  Unfortunately, I couldn't convince listeners to adjust their
detectors to receive asymmetrical modulation and they complained of
distortion.

Also, think somewhere buried in the FCC rules is something about operating
in accordance to good engineering practices.  Good engineering practice
suggests low distortion, fully modulated audio.

I am sure that if the FCC were to allow a 1000 watt AM transmission, there
would be no problem meeting the technical requirements of fully modulating a
1000 watt carrier.

73 de Bill, AB6MT
hbco2 at sbcglobal.net