[AMRadio] League pulls RM-11306

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Apr 29 21:05:45 EDT 2007

Pete one of the reasons 3.870-3.890 is so busy and people
don't want to move has to do with the fact many of the AM
operators are General Class.  Therefore, when we call CQ. we
want maximum exposure like HP Computers (in every store you
go into).  So the odds of an answer is best there.  I would
be more than comfortable with the FCC grandfathering all
Advanced licenses to Extra and giving the General the
Advanced portion.  This might help with the problems (it has
a better chance than what has been done thus far).

Up unil this RM the FCC had never moved a class of licensee
up a grade.  They have now done that with Technician to
General.  They should also do it with Advanced class and
give that portion of the band to Generals.  Another pet
peeve of mine is why does the FCC fool with us anyway?  Why
not make Amateur licenses lifetime and create a
quasi-governmental group to over see testing, rule
suggestions and monitoring enforcement into the quasi group.
That would eliminate a lot of work for the FCC and allow us
to regulate ourselves.

They would only be involved in court actions after the group
gathered the information and pass regulations based on the
recommendations of the group.  The friendly ARRL could be a
part of the group as others which would broaden the
participation across the entire amateur community.  Details
at 11.

Jim
W5JO

By the way, the broader the audio, the wider the bandwidth.