[AMRadio] Re: would like to build a little homebrew project

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Wed Aug 1 13:30:13 EDT 2007

Jason Buchanan writes:
> hi - thanks for the info.  I live in Boxboro, MA which is pretty  close to
> QIX's QTH (i'm 1 mile as the crow flies from the Boxboro ham  fest)...

Cool - I've been going to Boxboro for years.

> Got to try to catch up with him on air sometime and maybe  swing by his
> house and check out all that great stuff he has.  I have  heard him on 160
> in the past with that monster signal but at the time  I was super busy and
> didn't have the time to think about building  anything...

Steve's a great guy, and one of a select few folks I've met to whom I bestow
the title "genius" without reservation.

> but now that I
> have a full wave loop I can work that far  up into 160m (my old dipole cut
> for CW had terrible SWR at 1945KC).   Shucks, maybe I can take a ride up
> your way if you have time.

Sure thing! I'm in Gray, ME and good in QRZ. Typically have Fridays -
Sundays free (slowly working my way to retirement). Always keeping busy, but
with a bit of warning I will MAKE time.

> I have some Drake 4 line gear and an icom 707 that can run AM so will  try
> to listen for you tonight on the gray hair net.  Maybe even try  to check
> in but with the Drake's controlled carrier setup it won't be  the same....

Use what you've got! We WILL hear you.

If you ever build a big rig, you can use the Drake as a stable & reliable
signal source.

73,
 -Larry/NE1S