[AMRadio] HeathKit VF-1 Viking 2 wiring

J.D. Mac Aulay, WQ8U jmac6235 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 16:49:20 EDT 2007

Ron,
  Unless someone has done some rewiring, it should be fairly straightforward to use the VF-1 with the Viking II.

  The VF-1 requires 6.3 VAC for filaments and 250-350 VDC @ 15-20 ma for HV.  The Viking II has 6.3 VAC and 300 VDC so the power supply for the VF-1 is no problem.

  On the VF-1 socket in the back Pin 1 is ground; on the Viking II (VII) Pins 1, 2,4,and 6 are grouind.  Wire VF-1 Pin1 to VII Pin 1 for ground.

  Wire VF-1 Pin  4 to VII Pin 3 for B+

  Wire VF-1 Pin 2 to VII Pin 7 for filament.

  On the VII, Pin 8 is a connection to the internal keying circuit.
  Wire center of plug for the Key Jack on back of VF-1 to VII Pin 8.
  Suggest using a shielded wire.

  I am using a PL-259 to connect the output of the VF-1 to the VII without problems.

  Hope this helps.

  73
  Mac
  WQ8U
  Hillsborough, NC

Ron Lawrence kc4yoy <kc4yoy at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
  Can anyone help me with the wiring mods needed to
use a HeathKit VF-1 VFO with my Viking 2 transmitter?
The VFO came to me wired for a Globe Scout.
I need to know what the wiring is for it to be powered by
the Viking.
Also the VF-1 has a plug for a crystal socket,
can I change it to a PL-259 to connect to the VFO
connection on the Viking which is a SO-239.

73, Ron

http://radioheaven.homestead.com/AMstation.html