[AMRadio] New Book: The World of Ham Radio,

Ed Sieb esieb at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 21 15:58:45 EDT 2007

A new academic book is being released  shortly,  "The World of Ham Radio,
1901-1950: A Social History"

I ordered this book last June, from Amazon. They say they will ship end of
September. Obviously I haven't read it yet.
It covers the era we all love, so I look forward to reading it.

Description
During the first fifty years of the twentieth century, ham radio went from
being an experiment to virtually an art form. Because of the few government
restrictions and the low monetary investment required, the concept of ham
radio appealed to various people. More than just a simple hobby, however,
ham radio required its operators to understand radio theory, be able to
trace a schematic and know how to build a transmitter and receiver with
whatever material they might have available. With the advent of World War II
and the increased need for cutting-edge communications, the United States
government drew upon the considerable knowledge and skill of these amateur
ham radio operators, validating the fact that ham radio was here to stay.

This book explores the history of ham radio operators, emphasizing their
social history and their many contributions to the technological development
of worldwide communications. It traces the concept of relays, including the
American Radio Relay League, from contacts as close as 25 miles apart to
operators anywhere in the world. The book highlights the part played by ham
radio in many of the headlined events of the half century, especially
exploration and aviation "firsts". The ways in which these primarily amateur
operators assisted in times of disaster including such events as the sinking
of the Titanic and the 1937 Ohio River flood, are also examined.

About the Author
Richard A. Bartlett, professor emeritus of Florida State University, lives
in Tallahassee.

Details
Hardcover: 292 pages
Publisher: McFarland (August 13, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786429666
ISBN-13: 978-0786429660
Product Dimensions: 10 x 7.3 x 0.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

More info on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786429666/ref=pe_snp_666