[AMRadio] New Book: The World of Ham Radio, 1901-1950

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Aug 22 14:07:43 EDT 2007

On 22nd August, Don wrote...

"...One of the few exceptions to the above, but by far the most prominent,
lies within the AM community, where genuine amateur  radio lives on as both
a technically oriented hobby and an art form."

**************************

Well put, Don --- congratulations on crystallizing into print the very
thoughts that I'm sure so many others harbour, too...

I have often been of the opinion that AM'ers are unique in that, on the one
hand, they are perhaps the epitome of appliance operatoring (albeit with
appliances that are a half-century-plus in age!), and yet on the other hand,
are fearless when it comes to delving into the very bowels of this same
hardware in order to effect any & all repairs and improvements as may be
necessary...

I could probably count on the fingers of one hand all of the AM'ers that I
know & have met who have never built at least an RF amplifier, or a
transmatch, for daily useage in their stations.

I s'pose it's all in keeping with the harsh reality that whenever a prized
vintage rig breaks down, there is just nobody around to fix it anymore
(unlike "Icom America", there simply is no "Boaanchors America --- and even
if there was, can't you just imagine the shipping expenses?!).

If necessity is, indeed, the mother of invention, then it serves also as
inspiration to boldly go where few dare go to-day --- and isn't that really
a good thing?

I think so. I'm glad others agree...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ