[AMRadio] Small(est) rigs with 6146 final

Pete Ferrand petef at sprynet.com
Tue Aug 28 16:53:11 EDT 2007

>another rig, the GLOBE HG-303, that uses a single 6146.  It's a compact
>CW rig and well built.  The "matching" VFO is the GLOBE V-10.  Cabinets

>Anyone see/have one?  And have you tried Plate modulation scheme with
>it?

This is a neat rig. I've had one for years along with the VFO, and it's the second pair I've had...I too gave the first away and regretted it and wound up with this pair, in far poorer condition. Never put 'em on AM though although probably I would have if they covered 160.

But they work extremely well. What I like about the rig, more than the VFO, is that it's an original design, it's not electrically or mechanically like any other rig. The cabinets and hardware were shared with Globe's CB line. The VFO is basically the standard WRL Globe VFO repackaged with a nice slide rul dial and colored lights. The transmitter has all components on several bulkhead type vertical chassis with the tubes horizontal. And there's a separate transformer for high and low B+. The transmitter is grid block keyed and puts about 140 volts on the key at low current, and there's no clamp tube to guard against lack of excitation.

Since it's only a two tube rf stage and the VFO outputs at 160 for 80 meter operation (going from memory here) I recall a substantial amount of 160 meters to the antenna when operating on 80.

Note I didn't say it was a perfect design, just an original one that works as intended, I suppose. Never have found out who was behind it or if there was a story there. Anywone have the history of the Rockford built GC-Globes? The company's successor is still in town, I plan to swing by and see if it's in the same location next time I'm out that way.

When I got my Novice in 1965 I was all set to get one of these new but the store, Gem Electronics, had just sold its last one, for $49.95 I think, and I wound up with a DX-60, a far better rig but at almost twice the price.

-Pete
WB2QLL
Somers, WI