[AMRadio] UPS topper

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:23:35 EDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Geoff/W5OMR <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:

> You've got to wonder, with stories about such as these, how good of a
> packing job must someone do to prevent damage to whatever is being shipped.

For years I really believed that bullet-proof packaging was the answer
to all, Geoff. When relaying how I packed things, I'd tell folks that
my approach was to assume I'd found some great item in some backwater
town in China, then pack as if I was sending it to myself at home,
with a dozen gorilla types handling it between there and here.

Years ago when I bought a nice Clegg set up from a fellow, I ended up
building custom foam-lined boxes and sending them to him, with tape
and other packing materials enclosed along with instructions. He
followed my instructions to a 'T'. Everything arrived fine.

So I always figured it was in the packing. And no doubt about it -
excellent packing is your best defense. But it's no guarantee, and
that's the real bottom line. Anyone who thinks they know otherwise is
an idiot. Even if there were no bad handlers out there, you still run
the risk of a runaway forklift, container ship sinking, UPS truck
wrecking and burning, etc. The gorillas just make the chances a bit
better that you'll get dinged sooner instead of later, as I did. But
without a doubt, the vast majority of items get through just fine, and
the best packed ones have the fewest problems.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ