D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Dec 1 01:38:06 EST 2007

> Don...Did you forget us guys
> in the 50's  that had Extra
> Class Freq's as Generals and
> that we got sold down the
> river
> With Incentive Licensing????
> You talk about not getting
> kissed. All of a sudden we
> were looking at a 20WPM
> test...Just to gain back what
> we had!!! Took me till late
> 80's to get there...
>
> Bob W1PE

But that has nothing to do with the AM power issue, and happened 20 years
earlier.

I already had my extra when it went into effect, so it didn't affect me
personally, but I liked the way things were before incentive licensing far
better than the way they turned out afterwards. What good did the "extra
class" frequencies do me, if I couldn't find anyone I wanted to work inside
those segments?

In any case, IL was a dismal failure in terms of its originally stated
purpose, to increase the technical competence of the amateur radio
community.  If anything, it accelerated the trend we have seen going on for
decades, that has turned amateur radio away from being a
technically-oriented pastime, into a plug 'n play "communicator's" hobby.
Compare the technical competence of the typical ham to-day to what it was in
1968.  When IL went into effect, it practically killed overnight in one
swoop what little was left of AM and homebrewing at that time.  I don't know
why the FCC even bothers to maintain the pretence today that the incentive
licensing concept still exists, by continuing to maintain licence-class
subbands. I suspect they simply don't want to admit that a mistake was made
back in 1968.

Don k4kyv