[AMRadio] Building

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sat Dec 1 17:12:54 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Building

Carl:  Thanks for the response.

Well, I did think of that, but I'm kind of at loose-ends here as to what to
do about a moulation transformer.

I have four modulation transformers in the junk box.  One is a very
conservative KW PWD, which is large and heavy (I used that in a PP pair of
450THs, modulated by a pair of 304TLs, a long time ago.  That transmitter
made a heap-of-smoke . . . and RFI).  Another is a National that says 70
watts.  It came out of an FAA transmitter, built by National, that used a
pair of 4-65As in the final.

I also have a modulation trasformer that came out of a 250 watt Gates BC
transmitter.  And, a Thermadore, that I can't seem to find any information
on.

The KW PWD is rated for 800 watts audio 40 to 7500 hz.  It has no air-gap,
and is to be used with a matching reactor and cap, which I have.

The primary is 12,000 ohms, center-tapped.  The secondary is 4545 ohms.

I'm mentioning these figures because it's been at least 15 years since I've
calculated various tubes and voltages for matching up modulation tubes and
transformers.

I do remember that on the 450THs I was running 2500 volts @ 600 ma.  Don't
remember what the modulation voltage was.

73, Barrie, W7ALW