[AMRadio] Building

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Dec 1 19:05:54 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie at centric.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Building

Well, you certainly have a nice stash there.

There are probably enough Gates owners on here that can tell you the specs.
However you can determine the turns ratio with a bit of LVAC on the primary
and then calculate the turns ratio.

Old Handbooks, especially the "Radio" version have extensive charts of the
PP load of most tubes used a modulators and you already know that the
VT-127A's are basically 100TH's so you can easily determine their load
impedance. If you loaf them at 500W input using say 1700V @ 300ma for
instance (rounded off) the mod xfmr secondary must be close to 5666 Ohms.

Then knowing the PP load of the modulators and the turns ratio of the xfmr
you can determine what works.

If you want to run some numbers by me by all means do so.

Carl
KM1H