[AMRadio] Traffic Light interference

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 22:49:23 EST 2007

<wb5oxq at grandecom.net> wrote:

>Just wait until the dept of transportation installs one of those new
led
>traffic signals near you.  The switching power supplies they use are
very
>noisy.  Those signal lights will break squelch on my mobile at least
75
>yards away.  My friend N5IT who works for TEXDOT tells me he knows the
>devices are noisy but the manufacture does nothing about them.

The LED traffic lights that I've run into are very noisy in the FM
broadcast band and will actually drown out an otherwise completely
listenable signal when a car rolls up the light.  In my professional
life I documented the interference thoroughly, including quite a list
of listener complaints, and after a year of offering my help and trying
to get the local city transportation dept to do something without
success, I passed it along to the FCC.  I had to push pretty hard, but
finally an FCC inspector engineer came out to check it (only because he
was in town for something else).  He confirmed my finding but said,
"Uh, well, it only bothers the weaker signals, so it is OK."  I pointed
out that it was causing harmful interference to many listeners, and he
just said they should find a stronger station to listen to.

What a joke.

Steve WD8DAS