[AMRadio] Traffic Light interference

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Dec 3 15:09:36 EST 2007

> From: sbjohnston at aol.com

>>Just wait until the dept of transportation installs one of those new
> led
>>traffic signals near you.  The switching power supplies they use are
> very
>>noisy.  Those signal lights will break squelch on my mobile at least
> 75
>>yards away.  My friend N5IT who works for TEXDOT tells me he knows the
>>devices are noisy but the manufacture does nothing about them.
>
> The LED traffic lights that I've run into are very noisy in the FM
> broadcast band and will actually drown out an otherwise completely
> listenable signal when a car rolls up the light.  In my professional
> life I documented the interference thoroughly, including quite a list
> of listener complaints, and after a year of offering my help and trying
> to get the local city transportation dept to do something without
> success, I passed it along to the FCC.  I had to push pretty hard, but
> finally an FCC inspector engineer came out to check it (only because he
> was in town for something else).  He confirmed my finding but said,
> "Uh, well, it only bothers the weaker signals, so it is OK."  I pointed
> out that it was causing harmful interference to many listeners, and he
> just said they should find a stronger station to listen to.
>
> What a joke.
>
> Steve WD8DAS

This, plus the BPL thing, and the slowness to get anything done about power
line interference, show that the FCC is the joke.  Do AM'ers have any real
reason to be so anal about an occasional voice peak exeeding 1500 watts on a
questionable instrument ("ham radio quality" wattmeter) every now and again?