[AMRadio] Building

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Dec 4 13:53:15 EST 2007

My last 4X1 amp, back in the 80's, ran a pair in AB2. I used swamped grid
input with a toroid 4:1 step up from the T4XC to get the necessary grid
voltage. Screen and bias were all SS rectifiers but tube regulators.

With 5200V it put out some serious power. Since it was a build to order it
got only minimal air exposure here but the customer was happy. It is now at
its 3rd home.

Ive been wondering, besides the drive requirement, why swamped grid cant be
used in Class C? It would eliminate the neutralization requirement with some
tubes as well as the hassle of a bandswitching input.

Carl
KM1H