[AMRadio] Crystal Mic Elements

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Dec 10 19:03:32 EST 2007

So far I've not found the crystal mic elements from Mouser, "Kobetone" etc.,
to be really good enough to replace the D104 element, or even the elements in
crystal mobile mics.  I don't think their diaphragms are big enough.

The original D104 is prized because it has good low-end response, and a
preemphasis rise in the upper-midrange.  You can use it with an otherwise flat
transmitter and get decent results without any extra EQ gadgets.

Rather than use a sub-optimum crystal element to replace a bad D104, I'd
consider using one of the $1 consenser elements in the head and use external EQ,
or maybe a circuit in the base of the G-stand, to get the rising response
characteristic.

A side note:  For a real bargain in a pro-quality mic look at the Behringer
C-1 as shown at  http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=C-1
$40 is *very* cheap for such a good-sounding mic.  But keep in mind its
response is essentially flat, not like a D104, and it needs phantom-power.

Steve WD8DAS