[AMRadio] Crystal Mic Elements

cemilton at aol.com cemilton at aol.com
Mon Dec 10 20:12:17 EST 2007

Some of the mic elements available for a "reasonable" (read this cheap)
price perform fb and others do not.  It's often a matter of checking
them through a good amplifier and watching the upper and lower levels
of response.  I'm fortunate to have an original D-104 that sounds great
and meets the specs it was originally designed for.  That said, I've
had more than one of the "MOUSER" elements along with some old Rat
Shack (aka Radio Shack) crystal elements that sounded just as good as
the original D-104.

I have a JT-30 Astatic and a Turner S22X(3) with the original elements
that are still performing nicely.  Wouldn't think of converting them to
a condenser or dynamic mic.

And, without condescension intended, the human voice is the beginning
of a microphone sounding good.  Some voices just plain sound crappy,
regardless of the mic used.  No external device will improve that
situation.  I speak from having listened (and engineered) any number of
announcers in AM broadcast radio.  We hams ain't much different.
That's why some of the best audio reports come from simple mics like
the D-104 and an even simpler 2-stage amp using 12AX7's in something
like a DX-100 or the Viking II.  The difference is often in the voice
of the operator.

Well, enuf of my comments.............

YMMV

73 de W4MIL
Chuck
Palm Coast, FL

Oh, BTW, a very Merry Christmas to y'all.  And a better 2008.