[AMRadio] bandplan thoughts

Anthony W. DePrato wa4jqs at mikrotec.com
Wed Dec 12 21:34:47 EST 2007

>Steve WD8DAS
>

>this just came in on another ref thought you might like to read it

73 Tony

+++ Region 2 Band plan -- Skepticism persists +++

To set the stage for the following discussion, you need to know that
some AM operators believe the new IARU Region 2 voluntary band plan
will cost them operating privileges.  This is true even though the plan
is strictly voluntary and the fact that FCC regulations clearly take
precedent over any voluntary band plan.  Some of these operators accuse
ARRL, a member of Region 2 of manipulating the new Region 2 plan in an
effort toward abolishing AM and getting Regulation by Bandwidth adopted
in the US.

I do not intend to get into a point-counterpoint discussion of this
issue; however, I will expand the explanation I put in the last issue
of Words.  The bottom line still is precisely what I said the last
time.  ARRL was not involved in developing the Region 2 voluntary band
plan, and the new Region 2 band plan has absolutely no relevance to US
amateurs.

Fact:  The committee I loosely referred to as the band plan committee
is properly named the Region 2 HF Committee.  This is the group that
developed the new voluntary band plan.  There was no ARRL involvement
with the HF Committee.

Fact:  As stated in the Region 2, conference news release, "A new
Region 2 band plan for 160--10 meters was adopted, effective January 1,
2008.  The new plan is modeled on one adopted previously by IARU Region
1, with regional differences taken into account."

The Region 1 voluntary plan was developed in 2005.  It became effective
January 2006.  This voluntary band plan has had no impact on operations
in the US.  ARRL is not a member of IARU Region 1 and has no vote in
its meetings.

After developing its new voluntary band plan, the Region 2 HF Committee
submitted its new voluntary band plan to the Region 2 B/C Committee.
This committee forwarded the proposed plan to the plenary session where
it was adopted.  ARRL Chief Technical Officer Paul Rinaldo, W4RI was
secretary to the B committee.  He had no vote in its proceedings and
merely recorded the Committee's activities.

I assure you that when the Region 2 voluntary band plan becomes
effective January 1, 2008, it will have no effect on US operations --
AM or otherwise.  Any changes in operation by US operators will come
only if they, themselves, choose to make changes.

As your Director, I repeat that I will actively oppose any effort to
curtail AM operating privileges for US amateurs.  No such proposal has
been introduced by ARRL in the five years I've been on the Board, and I
do not expect any one to be forwarded in the future.  The fact is that
ARRL has been and continues to support any mode of operation that is
legal in the US and the operators who use these modes -- AM included.

Now, you know the rest of the story.

For another discussion, see
www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/12/07/100/?nc=1.

QBE  ZUT  DE WA4JQS

ANTHONY W. (Tony) DePrato WA4JQS EXTRA - HEAVY
Since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME # 35
A1-OP      FISTS  # 10573   SKCC #1227 F.O.P. LODGE 68
DXCC PHONE- DXCC CW- DXCC RTTY- DXCC MIXED
DXCC 40, 20, 15, 10 METERS
South Sandwich Island Dxpedition Group
CALLS HELD:
WA4JQS/ZS1, WA4JQS/KC4, WA4JQS/4K1