[AMRadio] bandplan thoughts

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:36:44 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 1:22 PM, Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> Amateur License Statistics:
> Nov. 2006 to Nov. 2007
> Extra: 108,271 to 111,716
> General: 131,558 to 142,180

> Advanced, Technician, and Novice are falling as would be expected due to
> die-offs, upgrades, and don't cares.

I expect most of these are mere placement shifts since the code was
dropped. IIRC, there was a tally of new licensees somewhere. Maybe QRZ
or the Vanity Call page? It's been a while since I looked.

> And you said: "Which makes this an issue for Amateur Radio specifically,
> not just AM. More, as well as restrictive regulations have the real
> likelihood of impacting all amateurs in a negative way."
>
> I'm not sure that's true, but maybe the future action should be for
> amateurs to provide them with enough intelligent and solid information
> for them to do it the correct way.

Agreed, but it's a two way street here: if the ARRL wants to claim
representation of US amateurs, they need to make it a point to solicit
input from *all*, not simply dues-paying members. Thanks to the
internet, postage and mass-mailing costs can no longer be worthy
excuses.

> See you on the channel where chaos is the norm especially when the hot
> topic is "what's for dinner".

Or a bit below, depending on conditions. With the band going long
early, the VE Land net that has used that frequency forever likes to
get on earlier, and moving later is a bit of a hassle to say the
least. Al 'AJM would like very much to discuss CE gear and pick your
brain a bit about your experiences. I'll be there for entertainment
value, wouldn't miss it!  :D

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ