[AMRadio] bandplan thoughts

cemilton at aol.com cemilton at aol.com
Fri Dec 14 10:18:16 EST 2007

I have to agree with Steve.................other than the always
present "eager beavers" who will attempt to direct all other amateurs
to follow the new IARU bandplan, the fallout from this escapade will
not be immediate.  It's what comes down the road.  Where the ARRL
failed a couple of years ago, they have no intent of failing again.
The IARU bandplan is now the plank in their platform that will most
likely be used to petition the FCC at some future date to change the
rules and implement most, if not all, of the bandplan being discussed.

Regulation, de-regulation and re-regulation are three words the FCC
loves most.  Just depends on who greases the wheels and the current
political party in charge.

Remember when the Radiotelephone First Class Operators License meant
something?  It was relegated to a GROL, whose value is debatable.  Look
at the current television industry.  It was the FCC who mandated the
change in frequencies and the sunset of the current spectrum.  HDTV was
mandated and after one postponement, the sunset is now a reality.

I submit the next move the ARRL makes is one that will be similar to
the broadcast television industry.  A future date will be made known
and the rules amended to reflect a digital spectrum for Amateur Radio.
Large chunks of bandwidth will be devoted to emergency and experimental
use with modes like AM eliminated and strict bandwidth limitations
placed on the SSB operators.  Boatanchor rigs will simply not be able
to be used.  Currently popular rice-boxes will demise and the
manufacturers will offer only rigs meeting the new mode/bandwidth
requirements.  Add-on "converter boxes" will take up the slack between
these events.  Think not?  Look at the ads in QST.

No, the sky isn't falling.  Chicken Little is still in good shape.  And
the ARRL won't likely try this in the next month or two.  But can it
happen?  I think so, but I hope I'm wrong.

Just a thought and comment.

YMMV

Flame away!

73 de W4MIL