[AMRadio] ER Magazine

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:10:55 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 12:54 PM, A.R.S. - WA5AM <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something not easy for people to vote on, in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking, Brian. The topic seems better suited for
reading, digesting, and reflection on those who made a positive impact
and contribution to Amateur Radio. Something well worth sharing, but
not lending itself well to a competition. That gets into more of a
case of writing and story-telling skills.

Problem for me is..more than one Elmer! One of my best friends and
biggest help to forward radio progress in Ray KC1BT, a former BC
engineer. He actually went to school with my dad, couple years ahead,
traded comic books with him as kids, and we end up being friends later
in life.

But Terry (whose call escapes me) was the one who gave me the Novice
test and helped me out with the code. Without him, I might have gotten
licensed much later or not at all.

Several other OTs took me under their wing and answered my endless
questions. One was a WWII vet who worked on B-24 Liberator
superchargers. Another worked with the engineers blowing the hell
outta stuff, ran a radio shop, taught me how to solder and do other
fun stuff. He wasn't a ham, though. Where do you start? How do you
end? How can you possibly give them the credit they deserve, and
somehow convert that to a competition?

Jim, I'll just say that I was a wee laddie when Brian and Kent got
licensed, but I'm knocking on 50's door in a few years. I remember 40,
sortakinda. It was a lot like 30, with more aches and pains. And there
was this little redhead out in Illinois....

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ