[AMRadio] Todd's redhead and some news

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 14 16:07:25 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Flood" <kb1fqg at yahoo.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 1:53 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Todd's redhead and some news

> Seven years of procrastination down the drain....  We had a woman show up
on our local 440 repeater a couple of weeks ago and It was her first contact
on radio.  The strange thing was her call was 20 years old.   It was her
novice call from way back when.  However, she never used it after passing
the test.  Recently she was inspired by some other hams at work and went to
the local VE exam and passed the tech and general on the same nite, hence
her showing up on the radio at long last.  Fast forward to this past Wed.
She told us on the am commute to  work that she was going back to take the
extra again that night.  That caused the locals to really start winding me
up about my lack of progress in upgrading and worse of all a "Girl" was
going to go from novice to extra in 4 weeks!  They were relentless that
morning.  To shut them all up I told them I'd try to stop there on my way
home and even better I'd get to meet the "Girl" and they could start some

>  scandalous rumours about us.  To make a short story even longer.  I
arrived to find a bunch of guys I knew there who were VE's and they had all
sort of thought over time that I was at a higher class than I was based on
the stuff we play with.  This, of course, produced new slagging that I had
to put up with as I filled out my form.  My biggest fear was that if I
failed and the "Girl" got her extra I'd have to go into hiding for a while.
I was presented with the test and found a new question pool was in use but
must have known my stuff anyways as without any study I passed the general
with only 2-3 errors.  I was "forced" (sort of) to take the extra as well
but missed that with a score of 60% or so, not to bad I guess for no study.
I was thinking yesterday that with the snow storm on the way, what better
time to throw up a TX wire and get on 75 or 160 AM before the ARRL tells me
that my junk is to old to use anymore.  However the 4.5 hour crawl home in

Oh Puhleez!  Girl Power rules!  I did Advanced & Extra ages ago, so why not
her too?  We need more YLs in radio.

>  a foot of snow killed those plans.  Hmmm....  ther is another storm on
the
> way this weekend....  what better way to warm up my hands then on top of
the SP-600 / R390A / or Valliant......

> Be warned, you guys are really stuck with me now........
>
> Happy __________  (insert your winter festival)
>
> John Flood
> KB1FQG/AG

Congrats on the upgrade John!